Encouraged by his first success, in May 1936 Dr. Joos founded his own company, Cilag, which is the acronym for Chemical Industrial Laboratory AG. Dr. Carl Naegeli, a well-known professor at the University of Zurich, was elected as President of the administrative board.
Unfortunately he did not survive to see the industrial production of the experiments he had initiated as an unexpected disease forced him to end his work in 1942. Dr. Bernhard Joos himself then took over the top management as President of the administrative board until he left the company in 1949.
Only a few years after the founding of Cilag, the research team of the young company already had launched no less than six new pharmaceutical preparations. After the war in May 1945, Cilag also started to export the preparations which had been sold successfully in Switzerland until that time. This was the beginning of Cilag's expansion into the international markets. So Cilag GmbH in Austria was founded in 1949 followed by the 1952 setup up of an affiliated company in Germany and finally in Italy Cilag SA was established during 1961.